Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Big Interview

This interview could determine my whole life. I received the letter last week from the College of Early Childhood Education and my interview is scheduled for 10:00 tomorrow morning. The interview should only take 20minutes and then I have an essay to write in 45 mins. The essay is the part I am really nervous about; I hate essays. I am terrible at gathering my thoughts in a short amount of time and not being able to right a draft first.

I am also terrified that I am going to be asked about the dreaded "disorderly conduct" that I had to disclose for the background check. Yes I was arrested when I was 19 years old for disorderly conduct, along with 4 other girls. The details or fuzzy but it was very late, drinking was involved, we were leaving a club and there was maybe some fighting happening. Unfortunately I was an innocent bystander and got caught up in the madness. Enough said. While filling out the application for the program I couldn't decide whether to leave it off and hope that it wasn't on my record or just disclose the information in case it was on my record. I am sure it will be brought up and I hate that this is effecting my life so many years later. I plead no contest for the whole thing and had to pay a small fine. I don't want this to be the reason I am not accepted or keeping me from being a teacher. It's ridiculous but unfortunately it could be reality and I am trying not to think about it and trying to stay positive.

Tomorrow I will go in there confident and prepared and pray to God that they like me, my grades are good enough, my past experience is brushed to the side and I write a great essay! I know I am making this more stressful then it has to be. I know that last semester 99 people applied and 96 of them were accepted. So I have a pretty good shot but how terrible would it be to be one of the 3 that didn't make it. I hope I can sleep tonight. I can't screw this up. If I don't get into the program I don't know what I will do with my life. I can't take another semester longer to get out of school. I will have to abandon being a teacher and go be a paper pusher in a law firm.

No comments: