Monday, May 25, 2009

Visitors

My parents arrived from Kan.sas on Thursday evening. My mom was here in March but it has been almost 2 years since my dad has been here (the only place he likes to vacation is Vegas :P). It's still a little awkward to have my parents come visit, does that ever go away? I love having them here and getting to see them but it's still kind of nice once they leave even though I do miss them terribly. I just don't feel like myself when they are here and I am constantly having to be on top of my game; I am also just not very good at entertaining.

I do pretty good this trip though. I made sure there were things going on and we had plenty to do. Friday we spent the day at the botanical garden, this was a first for all of us. It was great and the rain stayed away for us. I think my mom really enjoyed herself here and I got some great pictures (will post later). That night we had reservations at South.City.Kitchen, also a first for us. It was delicious!! This will definitely become a regular for the Mister and I. This is one of the most daunting tasks I have to do before my parents come...find a restaurant that is casual and not too expensive but nice and not a chain. It's not that they are picky eaters at all so that isn't the problem, it's the price tag. We live in a metropolitan area and it isn't really cheap if you want to go have a nice, seat down dinner... I am not calling my parents cheap, they are thrifty and I know my dad will be picking up the bill. I think the choice this trip was right on, okay maybe not right on because it wasn't as casual as I was hoping for but I think both of my parents enjoyed it and I would consider the food not cheap but not overly expensive, even though I am sure it is more than they would pay for a meal when they occasionally dine out.

The next day we were able to walk down to the park and enjoy the jazz festival that was being held there. I knew this would be a big hit...great music and great people watching. After about two hours there we had a date with the Braves and again we were lucky with the rain. It did rain but fortunately we were covered so it didn't bother us at all. Sunday was spent mostly relaxing around the house and my dad snuck off and headed back down to the jazz festival for another round of music. The in laws came down for dinner and the Mister made his famous steaks, while I did the corn, squash and zucchini. Today we walked to Oakland.Cemetery to give our respects to the fallen soldiers and to admire the the scenery. It is such a spectacular cemetery and has some amazing history.

They have now left and I am finally able to relax and get back to normal (whatever that is). It was a great visit and I look forward to the next.

No comments: