Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Teacher in Training

I have always had a really hard time deciding what I want to be when I grow up. I have gone from Marketing, Paralegal, Office Administrator, Business Owner and now Teacher.

Yesterday while in one of my education classes (I had to take before getting into the program) I realized that I really want to be a teacher, this is what I should be doing. I am excited about everything I am learning and wish I could start tomorrow but I know that there are so many more things for me to learn. I think if I would have done this several years ago I probably wouldn't feel the same way and be working as a teacher for all the wrong reasons.

At the beginning of the year my professor had stated that anyone who didn't want to work hard or was only interested in vacations and summer breaks needed to leave and go visit the College of Business. Of course the idea of summer vacation is nice but that wasn't why I was there, except I did question myself...was I only there for the time off??? Yesterday was my last day with him and he said the same thing and there was no question about it...I knew I was willing to put in the hard work to be a great teacher. Summer vacations or not I know that being a teacher is what I should be doing.

I am excited and terrified at the same time. I will potentially affect lots of children's lives. I don't want to screw up. I am now looking forward to the next two years of school that will prepare me for this. I no longer think of it as two years I am wasting at school when I could be out there working. When I was in school for marketing and paralegal I never felt this way. I never had a passion for it. I wasn't excited about my future as a paralegal, it was just a job. So it looks like I have finally decided on what it is I want to be when I grow up, a damn good teacher!

No comments: