Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Our 1st Major Hiccup - Weight

I am with my sweet baby every day and every day you would think I would notice whether or not my baby was gaining weight or not. Of course now that I look back over the last several weeks the signs were there. I didn't notice and I feel awful about it.

While we were in Kansas my parents commented on Logan's weight and that he was looking pretty skinny. So we decided to weigh him with my grandmother's digital scale. The number made my heart drop. He was still the 13lbs. He weighed 13lbs his 2mth appointment. It's the worst feeling when you find out that you have practically been starving your own child. I thought the nursing was going so well. He had all the signs of getting enough to eat except for the part he wasn't gaining weight of course.

The Monday we were home from our trip I called the Pediatrician and got Logan in for an appointment that day. It was confirmed that Logan had in fact not gained any weight and actually had lost some weight. The Pediatrician wasn't going to be able to see me that day and was going to call me to discuss our options. I was so upset about Logan's weight I had started crying and the nurse felt so bad for me she got the Nurse Practitioner in to talk to me. I was so thankful to have a chance to talk with someone and I felt so much better afterwards. We were put on a strict regimen to jump kick the weight gain. Logan was to nurse on each side and he was not allowed to fall asleep until he had nursed on each side really well. Then after he nursed he was to have a 4oz bottle 3-4 times a day. This was to continue for the week until his next checkup on the following Wednesday.

So last Wednesday we went in and he had gained almost a half pound! I was also working on building up my supply. I am taking 4 pills of Fenugreek 3x a day and I also have gotten on a prescription called Reglan, which I will take for 14 days. I have noticed an increase in my supply and have made sure Logan is nursing often. I was also using a nipple shield from the very beginning and I have been working on getting Logan to suck without using the shield and it seems to be helping a lot. We haven't used at all the last couple of days and I really feel like Logan is able to get more milk.

I am so hoping that this all works and I can continue to breastfeed. I feel some of our family doesn't understand how important this is to me and how good this is for Logan. It is the best thing he can have right now. I feel a lot of pressure to give up and give him formula. The Mister and I both agree though that as long as I can we want to continue breastfeeding. It is recommended to breastfeed for the first year and I know that I may not be able to breastfeed for a full year but if we can it's definitely what I want to do.

I am not against formula and he had his first formula bottle just the other day. I have used up my freezer stash so when Pooh and Ogo watched him the other night he had to have formula. I am okay with that but the longer he can have breast milk even better.

Later today we go back to the Pediatrician for his regular 4month checkup so I will update with his 4month stats.


No comments: